Ok, so after my Christmas gifts post many of you wanted me to share some of my DIYs, I’m a bit nervous but here goes.
To make fruit gin you will need;
- 1 litre of Gin – cheap gin is usually the best
- 500 grams of whatever fruit you want, usually a berry of some kind, we used sloes.
- 250 grams of caster sugar
- a couple of largish bottles for brewing
- some bottles for decanting the finished gin into
- Place the fruit and sugar into your bottles, if you have a really big bottle you can just use one.
- Then carefully pour the gin over the fruit and sugar and seal the bottle.
- Place the bottle in a cool dark area.
- Once a day for about a week tip the bottle to help the sugar dissolve.
- Once all the sugar has dissolved decant the liquid into your clean bottles, straining it through a jelly bag or piece of muslin, an old cotton pillow case will also work.
Then you have 2 options, leave it for another couple of months to ‘mature’ or drink it straight away!